Congratulations! Your dream of owning a custom food truck is about to become reality. As always, with reality come rules and regulations. While your food truck builder creates your vehicle, get a head start by researching these 6 documents to launch your food truck business:

1. Business License

This is the first step when launching a business. Register your food truck with your state’s State Department as soon as you can. This will streamline your tax process and legitimize your business, both for the government and your customers.

2. Your Tax ID Number(s)

Few government agencies are as feared as the IRS. Fortunately for small business owners, they make registration quite easy. Apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN), which you will use on all tax returns. Your state may also need you to register for a state sales tax number. Check with the Department of Revenue or Taxation to find out what they require. Stay ready for tax season, and you won’t have to get ready for tax season.

3. Proof of Inspection (Health Permit)

Contact your local health department to conduct an inspection of your vehicle. They will inspect the cleanliness, storage, and equipment in your kitchen. Once you pass, they will issue you a permit to operate. Display this permit prominently on your truck. They are normally good for a year before they expire.

4. Liability Insurance

Not all governments require it, but you need commercial general and automobile liability insurance for peace of mind. Automobile liability covers you if you have an accident on the way to an event. General liability covers you once you’re parked and serving. Insurance is great to have and not need, rather than need and not have.

5. Driver’s License

This should be obvious if you plan to drive your business to vending and catering locations. A standard driver’s license will cover most trucks up to 26,000 pounds. If you are towing a trailer, you may need a Class B or Class A commercial driver’s license. Check your state’s requirements for commercial trailers.

6. State by State Requirements

Each state has a unique approach to mobile food vending. For example, some states like Rhode Island require a separate mobile vending permit. Others required documents may include proof of fire inspection, food handler’s permit, parking permit, or commissary letter of agreement. Consult your Secretary of State’s office for a complete list of requirements before you take your food truck public.

With these documents in hand, you can start focusing on what you love most: feeding people.
Are you ready to start your mobile business? Call Firefly Fabrication today at (941) 524-4981 and get your custom food truck or trailer shipped to you in as little as 12 weeks.

Call Us